Arthritis and aching joints are one of the most prevalent complaints of people 55 years and over. Dr. Kendra Zuckerman of Main Line Health states, “arthritis technically means an inflammation of the joints.” Deborah Wolf, 76, shares her time between practicing law and playing tennis, and is not ready to slow down her rigorous schedule. However, after the development of arthritis in her knees, activity has become difficult. Dr. Zuckerman advises that exercise and weight-watching is important for arthritic patients, and that anti-inflammatory drugs can also help with the pain, too. Deborah works on knee strengthening and diet-planning to keep her pain at bay.
Proper foot care is something many older adults forget to consider. If you have any concerns about your feet and ankles, contact Dr. Howard Robins from The Healing Center. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
The Elderly and their Feet
As we age we start to notice many changes in our body, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to not taking action for the elderly.
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet, and can hide many life threating medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered. Some of the problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in New York, NY. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.